darana: I am not inclined to disagree
lonsolo: who are the [Atreides] twins?
masteralida: Dune, even
masteralida: children of
darana: roflol yeha dune
deire: Yeeeha! Dune!
deire: Must--not--filk--Duke of Hazard theme
You, you who put Leto and Ghani climbing in through the viewports of a 'thopter named the Dr. Liet in my heead--!
*soundtrack guy cues "Dueling Balisets"*
Argh! The special crop, I tell you!
Why must payback wait as the sages wrote?1
Here, then, is some more vid peril.
I'm no tv_elf or wiliqueen, but I'm mulling over a few ideas that I promise I will inflict on you all when you least expect it:
- "Plenty", Sarah McLachlan - I read a poem in Omni once titled "The Curse of The Telepath's Wife", and it reminded me of a few SF pairings: Spock and Valeris, Paul and Teresa Kendall2, and a few others. Maybe Duncan Idaho and Alia, now that I have finished watching Children of Dune. This is a half-formed idea, but I decided to be humble and ask for suggestions.
- "The Greatest Man I Never Knew", Reba McEntire - Faramir Denethorion, Éowyn and Théoden, even (to an extent) Frodo and Bilbo. At first I had only Faramir in mind, but it seemed odd to do this with just a son and his father, in which case spaced_oddity's idea of Linkin Park's "Numb" works as well as any. I still think Tori Amos's "Winter" is the best Théoden song.
- "In Another Life", Jennifer Love Hewitt - This was my first vid idea, and it is for a book series that has not yet made it to the big screen (but is on the way, God willing). Take a guess?
:looks around for readers doubled up in pain:
I clearly have not made you suffer enough.
Let's launch directly into the Saga of Pliocene Exile, Intervention, and Galactic Milieu series, then.
- "My Immortal", Evanescence - As I wrote earlier, this works for Aiken, Mercy, and Nodonn.
- "The Greatest Man I Never Knew", Reba McEntire - This works for the Younger Earth, too. What was it marm wrote about Joss Whedon and dysfunctional fathers? Joss has nothing on Julian May! Gerard Tremblay, Davy MacGregor, Kyle MacDonald, Ian MacDonald, Paul Remillard, Marc Remillard - the list goes on and on. Not to mention real psychopaths such as Donatien Remillard and Kieran O'Connor. And then there's the Thagdal and his get.
- "I'm All Smiles" - This was the song Marc and Adrienne danced to in Jack the Bodiless. Eh. It might just be that certain flavors of jazz don't sit well with me, but I finally went and listened to this in 2000, and I saw what May meant by "jazz-waltz dissonances". Hard to fathom.
- "If The Devil Danced in Empty Pockets", Joe Diffie - This was a song at the Hallowe'en costume party where Jack and Diamond met, and May mentions it specifically in Diamond Mask.
- "Wild Angels", Martina McBride - To me, this is the Jack/Diamond song.
- "The Wheel", Rosanne Cash - This has always been the perfect Uncle Rogi song to me. The POV shifts - from Elaine to Unifex to Diamond to Jack - and that makes it somehow all the more fitting.
- "Change Partners", Rosanne Cash - Unifex. 'Nuff said.
- "You Won't Let Me In", Rosanne Cash - Felice. Ohhh, maaaan, Felice Felice Felice. Listen to the song and tell me you don't hear it. Fade to Duality.
- "Tears Falling Down", Rosanne Cash - For some reason this always struck me as a song for Patricia Castellane (the first and last Dirigent of Okanagon).
1 juing1zi3 bao4 chou2 shi2 nien2 bu1 wan3: For the superior man's vengeance, ten years is not too long.
(Compare the Klingon aphorism: "Revenge is a dish best served cold.")
2 You know I will never rest until the Galactic Milieu trilogy, and preferably the whole Julian May decalogy, is a SciFi miniseries. Just start scribbling your casting lists and lobbying whereever you can. :-)
In other news
23:30 CDT Wed 28 Apr 2004: My review of tonight's Smallville episode has been posted to teunc. (Please excuse the off-topicness; I'm searching for a better long-term home for Angel and Smallville episode commentaries.)
00:15 CDT Thu 29 Apr 2004: The Alphabet Meme, taken from miajesbar
Start: 22:40 CDT Wed 28 Apr 2004
A is for - Age: 30 going on 18
B is for - Boyfriend/Girlfriend: Nerp
C is for - Career in Future: My first love as careers go - computer science. Also, maybe CTO of a medical informatics or bioinformatics company. Science fiction writer. Amateur humor columnist.
D is for - Dead person you would like to meet: Hrm, tough question. The Leonards, perhaps (da Vinci, Euler). Nimoy's still alive, though, and I'd kinda like him to stay that way for a while.
E is for - Essential item: ThinkPad A31p
F is for - Favorite song at the moment:
G is for - Guy/Girls you've kissed: Gonna plead the fifth on this one
H is for - Hometown: Atlanta, GA
I is for - Instruments you play: 0.2 (0.1 keyboard, 0.1 guitar)
J is for - Job title: Assistant Professor of Computing and Information Sciences
K is for - Kicks Ass: Lots of my friends. To name a few: darana, deire, koinonia, gondhir, MOM, Oje, Menny
L is for - Living places: Annapolis, San Diego, Kauai; maybe Shanghai
M is for - Most memorable moment of today: Hearing some tales of trask from my friends, masteralida and deire (unless you count submitting one paper at 02:00 and withdrawing another at 02:35 as "today")
N is for - Number of people you've slept with: Hrm, well, that would have to be the encampment of about a dozen people at our last family reunion. Lawaz go for the Alabamic amser - it is the teunc way! (No, jereeza and miajesbar, doggies dknot count!)
O is for - Overnight hospital stays: None. (I might have come home from the hospital on the second day after I was born.)
P is for - Phobias: Rejection, sheer heights (not heights in general; I just have a quirky vestibular sense; good on board ship, bad on mountains).
Q is for - Quote you like: Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras omnen crede diem tibi diluxisse supremem: grata superveniet quae non sperabitur hora. (Amid the hope and worry, the fear and anger believe that each day which breaks is your last: the unhoped for hour will be a welcome surprise.) - Horace, Epistles I.iv.13
R is for - Relationship that lasted the longest: With friends? I have a few family friends from early childhood, so about 20 years. Romantically? Hrm, 7 years of limerent CHOKLITy goodness (or not) - hempknight says I am quite out of my trasking mind, though I think the jury is still out.
S is for - Sexuality: Heterosexual (Kinsey 0).
T is for - Time you wake up everyday: Between 08:30 and 11:30, with a mean of 09:30 during the semester. I go to bed between 00:30 and 07:30, with a mean of 04:00.
U is for - Unique trait(s): I am exceedingly hyper when something holds my intererest. My energy level has been described variously as "energetic" (various NSF reviewers, deire) to "high-powered laser beam" (Jesse Reichler, whatever he means) to "sheer teunce" (jereeza, sui_degeneris, etc.).
V is for - Vegetable you love: Jade cress (qing1 gang1 cai4 - stop asking me this!
W is for - Worst habit: bad time management skills and inability to stop committing time to new responsibilities
X is for - X-rays you've had: left arm (hairline fracture, aged 7)
Y is for - Yummy food you make: cucumber, omelette, and ham pasta; peanut butter noodles; omelettes
Z is for - Zodiac sign: Libra
Finish: 00:04 CDT Thu 29 Apr 2004