Thanks to all who have helped with previous ones, which I posted on:
- March, 2005: Sat 05 Mar 2005, Sun 27 Mar 2005
- April, 2005: Sat 16 Apr 2005, Sat 29 Apr 2005
- May, 2005: Sun 15 May 2005, Sat 28 May 2005
- June, 2005: Sat 11 Jun 2005, Sat 25 Jun 2005
- July, 2005: Sat 09 Jul 2005
- August, 2005: Sat 13 Aug 2005, Sat 20 Aug 2005
- September, 2005: Sat 03 Sep 2005, Sat 17 Sep 2005
Thanks to atrusttheotaku for advice on last week's problems.
Here's my fortnightly update:
- 1. Instability: ThinkPad under Windows: This seems to have gone away, at least after I stopped running Dreamweaver MX.
- 2. Transparent backups and file synchronization: I haven't had time to mess with this.
- 3. Remote Control: Nor this.
Now for the new questions:
Does anyone else get frequent memory-related errors with Skype Beta? They seem to be non-crashing buffer overruns.
Gentoo or not Gentoo, that is the question
Do you recommend Gentoo Linux over FreeBSD as a file server OS? Why or why not? How about as a web server? An applications server?
We've suffered from a dearth of apps and limited experience with *BSD in my current crop of student developers. Some are recommending a transition back to Linux, and Gentoo is among the best balances of efficiency and security that I know of. My main criterion is Network File System (NFS) performance. As long as that is good, all else is negotiable. Response time is important, too.
Who among you is familiar with Subversion? Do you recommend it as a replacement for CVS? How good is the Eclipse plugin? We are doing small-team (3-5 people) development in Java and C++.
Thanks very much in advance!