Thanks to all who have helped with previous ones, which I posted on:
- March, 2005: Sat 05 Mar 2005, Sun 27 Mar 2005
- April, 2005: Sat 16 Apr 2005, Sat 29 Apr 2005
- May, 2005: Sun 15 May 2005, Sat 28 May 2005
- June, 2005: Sat 11 Jun 2005, Sat 25 Jun 2005
- July, 2005: Sat 09 Jul 2005
- August, 2005: Sat 13 Aug 2005, Sat 20 Aug 2005
- September, 2005: Sat 03 Sep 2005, Sat 17 Sep 2005
- October, 2005: Mon 03 Oct 2005, Sat 15 Oct 2005, Sat 29 Oct 2005
- November, 2005: Sat 12 Nov 2005, Sat 26 Nov 2005
- December, 2005: Sat 10 Dec 2005, Sat 24 Dec 2005
- January, 2006: Sat 07 Jan 2006, Sat 21 Jan 2006
- February, 2006: Sat 04 Feb 2006, Sat 18 Feb 2006
- March, 2006: Sat 04 Mar 2006, Sat 18 Mar 2006
Nobody replied to my last query, but try_and_die replied in statements and says that the latest Beta 2 ("Community Technology Preview 5342") build of Vista has some audio driver fixes for Dell Inspiron notebooks such as ours.
Here's my fortnightly update:
- 1. More Windows Woes: I'm going to try Vista CTP 5342 and see which of these it fixes.
- 2. Windows applications problems: Vista still crawls on Fireworks 8 for some reason, but my Win2K bluescreening problem on Numerramar has inexplicably gone away. It was probably a destabilizing application interaction that went away once I stopped using one or both of the offending apps.
- 3. SQL servers: I'm using Oracle 10g for now, while I talk to MySQL and the local administrators about getting a certified server license.
Now for the new questions:
Less memory-intensive variants of Photoshop, Word, Powerpoint, Firefox?
Besides OpenOffice and The GIMP, what do you all use when you're on a Windows machine that is short on RAM? I have 1Gb RAM in Hirilonde, and it's just not cutting it with Windows Vista. Right now, I have the following apps open:
- Mozilla 1.7.12
- Firefox 18.104.22.168
- Fireworks 8
- Windows Media Player 11
- Penguinet 2.23
- a single Explorer windows
- Task Manager
My commit charge is a modest 1466Mb. Over the course of a couple of days, it will bloat to 1.7Gb and then 2Gb before starting to bog down entirely. I bought two 1Gb DIMMs from Kahlon.com, but currently Vista has
MAXMEMset to 1024Mb, and I can't for the life of me set it to 2048Mb. Ergo, I need some memory-saving programs.
Text-mode application sniffers for IM and shells
Does anyone know of plug-ins for instant messaging (AIM/ICQ, YIM, MSN, Google Talk, or multi-IM programs such as GAIM and Trillian), IRC, or SSH clients that can monitor what scrolls up on your screen and pop up an alert or play a system sound if a certain hotword or hot phrase is typed? For example: "hello Dr. Hsu" and the like, typifying an initial greeting? I would also like to be able to detect "good night/night!", "ttyl", "bk", and "bha, you're idle". ;-)
Turning off things in Windows
I'd like to turn off the following:
- Microsoft Office Professional 2003 Speech Recognition configuration: Every time I start up Office 2003, I get a "set up speech recognition" dialogue, and I can't do anything with it because I have no way to input sound (Vista Beta 2 build 5270 doesn't work with headphones on Dell Inspiron notebooks).
- The touchpad on my Dell Inspiron: all it does is register spurious cursor movement and "double-tap" clicks, when my mouse or trackball is plugged in. I really, really, really want it off!
- Dead profiles in Mozilla: Why do we even have to have profiles? In any case, in Mozilla 1.7.12 (not Firefox, which I use for all my
hsuwh/banazirbusiness), I often get my profile spuriously locked, wherein the browser asks me on startup whether I want to create a new one (requiring re-importation of my bookmarks and manual deletion of the old one). Renaming does not help. What do I need to delete to get rid of the lock and make the profile usable again?
And now, the pranks I've seen today:
- Google Romance - search for love!
- Star Wars: The Shadow War Chronicles - "Bavmorda wanted her daughter to follow in her path and become a great sorcerer, but the Force was not strong with Sorsha." Classic!
ETA, 17:45 CST Sun 02 Apr 2005 - a few more:
- Overheard in NY - overheard in space... or not.
- ThinkGeek BuzzAire caffeine inhaler - yesss! (see the ThinkGeek site for more, including wireless extension cords, the iZilla vinyl-to-MP3 ripper with 2Tb memory, and the USB desktop tanning center)
- World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade - introducing the newest Alliance race... Wisps!
And now for some memes:
Dictionary definition of `banazir':
|You Are Pumpkin Pie|
You're the perfect combo of uniqueness and quality
Those who like you are looking for something (someone!) special