- March, 2005: Sat 05 Mar 2005, Sun 27 Mar 2005
- April, 2005: Sat 16 Apr 2005, Sat 29 Apr 2005
- May, 2005: Sun 15 May 2005, Sat 28 May 2005
- June, 2005: Sat 11 Jun 2005, Sat 25 Jun 2005
- July, 2005: Sat 09 Jul 2005
- August, 2005: Sat 13 Aug 2005, Sat 20 Aug 2005
- September, 2005: Sat 03 Sep 2005, Sat 17 Sep 2005
- October, 2005: Mon 03 Oct 2005, Sat 15 Oct 2005, Sat 29 Oct 2005
- November, 2005: Sat 12 Nov 2005, Sat 26 Nov 2005
- December, 2005: Sat 10 Dec 2005, Sat 24 Dec 2005
- January, 2006: Sat 07 Jan 2006, Sat 21 Jan 2006
- February, 2006: Sat 04 Feb 2006, Sat 18 Feb 2006
- March, 2006: Sat 04 Mar 2006, Sat 18 Mar 2006
- April, 2006: Sat 01 Apr 2006, Sat 15 Apr 2006, Sat 29 Apr 2006
Thanks especially to taiji_jian, nikolasco, and chaosinaskirt for their replies and helpful suggestions.
Here's my fortnightly update:
- 1. Content Management Systems: I've pretty much decided on Tiki for the primary project Wikis, Joomla (inheritor of Mambo) for the KDD page and other "public faces" of our research, and MediaWiki for the Graphical Models Wiki (probably to be hosted from home, if the sysadmins don't feel like having three types for my group). Any suggestions on massforge in particular?
- 2. Windows Annoyances: Here's a recap.
- 1. Loss of Ctrl-W. I'm still stumped by this one. Did they really get rid of it in Vista, or is it just supposed to be more configurable?
- 2. Suppression of security warnings. Still can't do it.
- 3. Defaulting of file extensions to something stupid. Still a disadvantage in the Vista column, but perhaps they've since fixed it.
- 4. Trillian 3 doesn't open log files any more. This one is still very annoying.
- 5. Uppercase image file extensions by default. This is persistent but mild enough that I dont' let it bother me.
- 6. Loss of Hotmail/Live Mail in Windows Mail 7. I don't know what Microsoft's workaround is. taiji_jian convinced me to switch to GMail plus POP.
- 3. Good Linux for graphics and databases: I think I'll go with Gentoo on Orome and Ubuntu on Telperion as planned, unless someone had a different suggestion. I'm torn as to whether to dual-boot the ubercomputer.
Now for the new questions:
Intel Core Duo
Does anyone have any experience running XP on Intel Core Duo systems? How much speedup (ideally and on average) do you get from the dual-core processor, and for what applications do or don't you achieve the ideal case?
Skype on an old Pocket PC
Do you think it's possible to run Skype on a 200MHz Intel StrongARM RISC processor that lives in an HP/COMPAQ iPAQ H3635? I've considered overclocking my old iPAQ, but Skype claims the minimum requirements are 300MHz and I don't think I'll get 50% boost in cycles. (Of course, 6 months ago they wrote "minimum 400MHz".)
Windows Vista: New CTP Build?
Is there a newer version than CTP 5270?