The students dropped by today to help me try once more to rescue Numerramar's hard drive and to help me bring Vaire (my Red Hat Linux box) back into a working state. We spent about three hours discussing everything from print servers to Norton Ghost to DVD-R drives to 401(k)s ("four-oh-wunks" as Pheobe called them on Friends) and options packages. James attempted to set up a multi-platform print server (for Windows 2000, WinXP, MacOS 8.6/9, MacOS 10.x, and Red Hat Linux 9) under RHL9. Meanwhile, Jason strove to get Norton Ghost working on a home network using nothing but
Merkian Idle is bax with a vengeance: As Simon Cowell immediately noted, standards have risen.
(jereeza and her friend Okeata do still need to go on Croatian Idol, though. You know of wot I speak...)
I was much amuzzled by a few things that coincided with shmeepster's observations earlier this evening.
Read this if and only if you are interested in American Idol:
First up, after an eardrum-trasking pass through Los Angeles, was New York City:
- I did feel a teensy bit sorry for the Army girl, Martha Krayburg, the one shmeepster called Martha the Marine (I checked my tape to correct this acos gondhir would trask us). She was really eager, too. Sweet voice, but she didn't have the presence. And did she miss the memo on Simon being big on confidence and presentation - appearance included, if you recall from World Idol - and Randy being big on stage presence? Oh, well.
- Army Staff Sergeant Paul An: Err... maybe I don't get Japanese rap?
- Simon hasn't hit his stride on insults. I loved that bet with Rasheeda, though!
- Randy is right about the Twins Syndrome.
- The Keown dude who sang "Unchained Melody" - was it just me, or did he go a bit flat towards the end? He's got a very strong voice, effortless delivery, and the dynamic range, but he didn't really use that range, IMO. "One of the best versions I've ever heard", quoth Simon. Wha-uht? Rilly?
- Scatgirl (Jacqueline Roman): Wot the patootie? That's... liek... Uzas city!
- That Clay-wannabe camp counselor (Colin Leahy) sure was bitter (like so many others).
- The red-headed Dean Martin "impressionist" (John Stevens IV) was good, especially when he switched to "The Way You Look Tonight". Not bad for 16. He may not make the Top 10, but then...
- Scootergirl will be lucky to make the first cut.
- You may have read (as I just did) that a finalist from last season named Josh Gracin, who is a lance corporal (LCpl) in the USMC, was recalled to active duty with the 1st Force Service Support Group in SoCal, causing him to drop out of the live tour of American Idol 2 finalists and dumping a lot of bad PR on the show and on the USMC alike. See, this is why we haven't let gondhir have a CE rig yet.
Next up (tomorrow night): Banagrad, my home town of Atlanta, GA. Oh, the ignomoony.
Rich talk-show evening: Tonight, on NBC, we have...
- Kelly Ripa, Simon Cowell, and Liz Phair on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- Patrick Stewart on Late Night with Conan O'Brien
- Demi Moore and Tom Welling on Last Call with Carson Daly
Quizzage by my friend barahirion:
You know Hsoj.
Do you know Hsoj??
brought to you by Quizilla
Ya seen it here first!
From masteralida, darana, deire, and a quijillion others:
You are one of the few out there whose wings are
truly ANGELIC. Selfless, powerful, and
divine, you are one blessed with a certain
cosmic grace. You are unequalled in
peacefulness, love, and beauty. As a Being of
Light your wings are massive and a soft white
or silver. Countless feathers grace them and
radiate the light within you for all the world
to see. You are a defender, protector, and
caretaker. Comforter of the weak and forgiver
of the wrong, chances are you are taken
advantage of once in awhile, maybe quite often.
But your innocence and wisdom sees the good in
everyone and so this mistreatment does not make
you colder. Merciful to the extreme, you will
try to help misguided souls find themselves and
peace. However not all Angelics allow
themselves to be gotten the better of - the
Seraphim for example will be driven to fighting
for the sake of Justice and protection of those
less powerful. Congratulations - and don't ever
change - the world needs more people like you.
*~*~*Claim Your Wings - Pics and Long Answers*~*~*
brought to you by Quizilla
Edit, 01:00 CST: An Ortho Tri-Cyclen (birth control pill) commercial set to Sixpence's "There She Goes"? Wot the trask? How did that happen? Well, it could have been worse:
- "Kiss Me" - dating service
- "Don't Dream It's Over" - marriage counselling
- "A Million Parachutes" - U.S. Army recruiting
- "Waiting on The Sun" - seasonal affective disorder 1
1 Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) has a generic-sounding acronym, but it's actually no laughing matter. It is believed to affect at least 2 million people in the UK and 2% of people in Northern Europe, up to 10 million Americans, and at least 600000 in Canada (5% of the population). There is a milder disorder, sub-syndromal SAD ("winter blues"), that is believed to affect some 10% of Northern Europeans and 25 million Americans. You can learn more about SAD in this entry, written by my friend istari_ala.