These are only like Jedi Councils in that there is a bit of old-fashioned wielding of Robert's Rules and a little more bureaucracy (though there are also some mavericks, yours truly being no exception ;-)). 1
Oh, and also the Dean of the Graduate School looks like Ki-Adi Mundi.
The main thing you might be interested in (especially f00dave and shanmonster) is that the honor code that was adopted in 1998 for undergraduates is going to go into effect for graduate students as well. Enfin! Atalast!
Not a moment too soon, either - we've had more reported violations in the last semester in the Graduate College than in all semesters since the honor code went into effect. There was also this incident last fall. Hurgh!
Oh, by the way: Any prospective plagiarists at my university who are reading this... I'd like you to know that TAs talk. Capisci?
Speaking of Jedi: My site Lightsaber Resources is suffering from considerable link rot (having been kept up-to-date for only about half a year after its debut on 14 May 1999) and is in need of an overhaul. Here are the 10 songs that I salvaged from the depths, though:
- "Achy Breaky Darth" - to the tune of "Achy Breaky Heart", Billy Ray Cyrus
- "Change Costumes" - to the tune of "Chain of Fools", Aretha Franklin
- "Darth Maul" - to the tune of "Gaston", Disney's Beauty and The Beast
- "Gotcha Neimoidian" - to the tune of "Karma Chameleon", Boy George and Culture Club
- "Handmaiden" - to the tune of "Maneater", Hall and Oates
- "Help Me Yoda" - to the tune of "Help Me Rhonda", The Beach Boys
- "Pod of Mine" - to the tune of "409", The Beach Boys
- "Run, Run, Run (Till Her Daddy Blows Her Planet Away)" - to the tune of "Run, Run, Run (Till Her Daddy Takes Her T-Bird Away)", The Beach Boys
- "Tatooine Sunrise" - to the tune of "Tequila Sunrise", The Eagles
- "The Darths Will Go On" - to the tune of "My Heart Will Go On", Celine Dion (Titanic soundtrack)
I'd like to take a straw poll - which of the following titles do you prefer for the song parody section?
- Jocasta Nu's Boogiechron
- Dance Dance Rebellion
- Tatooine Idol
Other suggestions are welcome.
1 Some day, I will get to say "see through you, we can" in a Ph.D. oral exam. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! Hrm, somebuddy lpease stop me from channelling Adan anymory...